1. O Prophet! When ye do divorce women, divorce them at their prescribed periods, and count (accurately),
their prescribed periods: And fear Allah your Lord: and turn them not out of their houses, nor shall they
(themselves) leave, except in case they are guilty of some open lewdness, those are limits set by Allah. and any
who transgresses the limits of Allah, does verily wrong his (own) soul: thou knowest not if perchance Allah will
bring about thereafter some new situation.
2. Thus when they fulfil their term appointed, either take them back on equitable terms or part with them on
equitable terms; and take for witness two persons from among you, endued with justice, and establish the
evidence (as) before Allah. Such is the admonition given to him who believes in Allah and the Last Day. And for
those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out,
3. And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah,
sufficient is ((Allah)) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has Allah
appointed a due proportion. 333
4. Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have
any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life
within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make
5. That is the Command of Allah, which He has sent down to you: and if any one fears Allah, He will remove his
ills, from him, and will enlarge his reward.
6. Let the women live (in 'iddat) in the same style as ye live, according to your means: Annoy them not, so as
to restrict them. And if they carry (life in their wombs), then spend (your substance) on them until they deliver
their burden: and if they suckle your (offspring), give them their recompense: and take mutual counsel
together, according to what is just and reasonable. And if ye find yourselves in difficulties, let another woman
suckle (the child) on the (father's) behalf.
7. Let the man of means spend according to his means: and the man whose resources are restricted, let him
spend according to what Allah has given him. Allah puts no burden on any person beyond what He has given
him. After a difficulty, Allah will soon grant relief.
8. How many populations that insolently opposed the Command of their Lord and of His apostles, did We not
then call to account,‐ to severe account?‐ and We imposed on them an exemplary Punishment.
9. Then did they taste the evil result of their conduct, and the End of their conduct was Perdition.
10. Allah has prepared for them a severe Punishment (in the Hereafter). Therefore fear Allah, O ye men of
understanding ‐ who have believed!‐ for Allah hath indeed sent down to you a Message,‐
11. An Messenger, who rehearses to you the Signs of Allah containing clear explanations, that he may lead
forth those who believe and do righteous deeds from the depths of Darkness into Light. And those who
believe in Allah and work righteousness, He will admit to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein
for ever: Allah has indeed granted for them a most excellent Provision.
12. Allah is He Who created seven Firmaments and of the earth a similar number. Through the midst of them
(all) descends His Command: that ye may know that Allah has power over all things, and that Allah
comprehends, all things in (His) Knowledge.