1. Allah has indeed heard (and accepted) the statement of the woman who pleads with thee concerning her
husband and carries her complaint (in prayer) to Allah. and Allah (always) hears the arguments between both
sides among you: for Allah hears and sees (all things).
2. If any men among you divorce their wives by Zihar (calling them mothers), they cannot be their mothers:
None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And in fact they use words (both) iniquitous
and false: but truly Allah is one that blots out (sins), and forgives (again and again).
3. But those who divorce their wives by Zihar, then wish to go back on the words they uttered,‐ (It is ordained
that such a one) should free a slave before they touch each other: Thus are ye admonished to perform: and
Allah is well‐acquainted with (all) that ye do.
4. And if any has not (the wherewithal), he should fast for two months consecutively before they touch each
other. But if any is unable to do so, he should feed sixty indigent ones, this, that ye may show your faith in
Allah and His Messenger. Those are limits (set by) Allah. For those who reject (Him), there is a grievous
5. Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be humbled to dust, as were those before them: for We have
already sent down Clear Signs. And the Unbelievers (will have) a humiliating Penalty,‐
6. On the Day that Allah will raise them all up (again) and show them the Truth (and meaning) of their
conduct. Allah has reckoned its (value), though they may have forgotten it, for Allah is Witness to all things.
7. Seest thou not that Allah doth know (all) that is in the heavens and on earth? There is not a secret
consultation between three, but He makes the fourth among them, ‐ Nor between five but He makes the
sixth,‐ nor between fewer nor more, but He is in their midst, wheresoever they be: In the end will He tell them
the truth of their conduct, on the Day of Judgment. For Allah has full knowledge of all things.
8. Turnest thou not thy sight towards those who were forbidden secret counsels yet revert to that which they
were forbidden (to do)? And they hold secret counsels among themselves for iniquity and hostility, and
disobedience to the Messenger. And when they come to thee, they salute thee, not as Allah salutes thee, (but
in crooked ways): And they say to themselves, "Why does not Allah punish us for our words?" Enough for
them is Hell: In it will they burn, and evil is that destination!
9. O ye who believe! When ye hold secret counsel, do it not for iniquity and hostility, and disobedience to the
Prophet; but do it for righteousness and self‐ restraint; and fear Allah, to Whom ye shall be brought back.
10. Secret counsels are only (inspired) by the Evil One, in order that he may cause grief to the Believers; but he
cannot harm them in the least, except as Allah permits; and on Allah let the Believers put their trust.
11. O ye who believe! When ye are told to make room in the assemblies, (spread out and) make room: (ample)
room will Allah provide for you. And when ye are told to rise up, rise up Allah will rise up, to (suitable) ranks
(and degrees), those of you who believe and who have been granted (mystic) Knowledge. And Allah is well‐
acquainted with all ye do. 325
12. O ye who believe! When ye consult the Messenger in private, spend something in charity before your
private consultation. That will be best for you, and most conducive to purity (of conduct). But if ye find not
(the wherewithal), Allah is Oft‐ Forgiving, Most Merciful.
13. Is it that ye are afraid of spending sums in charity before your private consultation (with him)? If, then, ye
do not so, and Allah forgives you, then (at least) establish regular prayer; practise regular charity; and obey
Allah and His Messenger. And Allah is well‐acquainted with all that ye do.
14. Turnest thou not thy attention to those who turn (in friendship) to such as have the Wrath of Allah upon
them? They are neither of you nor of them, and they swear to falsehood knowingly.
15. Allah has prepared for them a severe Penalty: evil indeed are their deeds.
16. They have made their oaths a screen (for their misdeeds): thus they obstruct (men) from the Path of Allah.
therefore shall they have a humiliating Penalty.
17. Of no profit whatever to them, against Allah, will be their riches nor their sons: they will be Companions of
the Fire, to dwell therein (for aye)!
18. One day will Allah raise them all up (for Judgment): then will they swear to Him as they swear to you: And
they think that they have something (to stand upon). No, indeed! they are but liars!
19. The Evil One has got the better of them: so he has made them lose the remembrance of Allah. They are
the Party of the Evil One. Truly, it is the Party of the Evil One that will perish!
20. Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be among those most humiliated.
21. Allah has decreed: "It is I and My apostles who must prevail": For Allah is One full of strength, able to
22. Thou wilt not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, loving those who resist Allah and His
Messenger, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred. For such He
has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with a spirit from Himself. And He will admit them to
Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein (for ever). Allah will be well pleased with them, and they
with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Truly it is the Party of Allah that will achieve Felicity.