1. Verily We have granted thee a manifest Victory:
2. That Allah may forgive thee thy faults of the past and those to follow; fulfil His favour to thee; and guide
thee on the Straight Way;
3. And that Allah may help thee with powerful help.
4. It is He Who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the Believers, that they may add faith to their faith;‐
for to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom;‐
5. That He may admit the men and women who believe, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow, to dwell
therein for aye, and remove their ills from them;‐ and that is, in the sight of Allah, the highest achievement
6. And that He may punish the Hypocrites, men and women, and the Polytheists men and women, who
imagine an evil opinion of Allah. On them is a round of Evil: the Wrath of Allah is on them: He has cursed them
and got Hell ready for them: and evil is it for a destination.
7. For to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
8. We have truly sent thee as a witness, as a bringer of Glad Tidings, and as a Warner:
9. In order that ye (O men) may believe in Allah and His Messenger, that ye may assist and honour Him, and
celebrate His praise morning and evening.
10. Verily those who plight their fealty to thee do no less than plight their fealty to Allah. the Hand of Allah is
over their hands: then any one who violates his oath, does so to the harm of his own soul, and any one who
fulfils what he has covenanted with Allah,‐ Allah will soon grant him a great Reward.
11. The desert Arabs who lagged behind will say to thee: "We were engaged in (looking after) our flocks and
herds, and our families: do thou then ask forgiveness for us." They say with their tongues what is not in their
hearts. Say: "Who then has any power at all (to intervene) on your behalf with Allah, if His Will is to give you
some loss or to give you some profit? But Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do.
12. "Nay, ye thought that the Messenger and the Believers would never return to their families; this seemed
pleasing in your hearts, and ye conceived an evil thought, for ye are a people lost (in wickedness)."
13. And if any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared, for those who reject Allah, a Blazing
14. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: He forgives whom He wills, and He punishes
whom He wills: but Allah is Oft‐Forgiving, Most Merciful.
15. Those who lagged behind (will say), when ye (are free to) march and take booty (in war): "Permit us to
follow you." They wish to change Allah.s decree: Say: "Not thus will ye follow us: Allah has already declared299
(this) beforehand": then they will say, "But ye are jealous of us." Nay, but little do they understand (such
16. Say to the desert Arabs who lagged behind: "Ye shall be summoned (to fight) against a people given to
vehement war: then shall ye fight, or they shall submit. Then if ye show obedience, Allah will grant you a
goodly reward, but if ye turn back as ye did before, He will punish you with a grievous Penalty."
17. No blame is there on the blind, nor is there blame on the lame, nor on one ill (if he joins not the war): But
he that obeys Allah and his Messenger,‐ ((Allah)) will admit him to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; and he
who turns back, ((Allah)) will punish him with a grievous Penalty.
18. Allah.s Good Pleasure was on the Believers when they swore Fealty to thee under the Tree: He knew what
was in their hearts, and He sent down Tranquillity to them; and He rewarded them with a speedy Victory;
19. And many gains will they acquire (besides): and Allah is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
20. Allah has promised you many gains that ye shall acquire, and He has given you these beforehand; and He
has restrained the hands of men from you; that it may be a Sign for the Believers, and that He may guide you
21. And other gains (there are), which are not within your power, but which Allah has compassed: and Allah
has power over all things.
22. If the Unbelievers should fight you, they would certainly turn their backs; then would they find neither
23. (Such has been) the practice (approved) of Allah already in the past: no change wilt thou find in the
practice (approved) of Allah.
24. And it is He Who has restrained their hands from you and your hands from them in the midst of Makka,
after that He gave you the victory over them. And Allah sees well all that ye do.
25. They are the ones who denied Revelation and hindered you from the Sacred Mosque and the sacrificial
animals, detained from reaching their place of sacrifice. Had there not been believing men and believing
women whom ye did not know that ye were trampling down and on whose account a crime would have
accrued to you without (your) knowledge, ((Allah) would have allowed you to force your way, but He held
back your hands) that He may admit to His Mercy whom He will. If they had been apart, We should certainly
have punished the Unbelievers among them with a grievous Punishment.
26. While the Unbelievers got up in their hearts heat and cant ‐ the heat and cant of ignorance,‐ Allah sent
down His Tranquillity to his Messenger and to the Believers, and made them stick close to the command of
self‐restraint; and well were they entitled to it and worthy of it. And Allah has full knowledge of all things.
27. Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with
minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted,
besides this, a speedy victory. 300
28. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth, to proclaim it over all
religion: and enough is Allah for a Witness.
29. Muhammad is the apostle of Allah. and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but)
compassionate amongst each other. Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer), seeking
Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their
prostration. This is their similitude in the Taurat; and their similitude in the Gospel is: like a seed which sends
forth its blade, then makes it strong; it then becomes thick, and it stands on its own stem, (filling) the sowers
with wonder and delight. As a result, it fills the Unbelievers with rage at them. Allah has promised those
among them who believe and do righteous deeds forgiveness, and a great Reward.