2. The Roman Empire has been defeated‐
3. In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this) defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious‐
4. Within a few years. With Allah is the Decision, in the past and in the Future: on that Day shall the Believers
5. With the help of Allah. He helps whom He will, and He is exalted in might, most merciful.
6. (It is) the promise of Allah. Never does Allah depart from His promise: but most men understand not.
7. They know but the outer (things) in the life of this world: but of the End of things they are heedless.
8. Do they not reflect in their own minds? Not but for just ends and for a term appointed, did Allah create the
heavens and the earth, and all between them: yet are there truly many among men who deny the meeting
with their Lord (at the Resurrection)!
9. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those before them? They were superior
to them in strength: they tilled the soil and populated it in greater numbers than these have done: there came
to them their apostles with Clear (Signs). (Which they rejected, to their own destruction): It was not Allah Who
wronged them, but they wronged their own souls. 229
10. In the long run evil in the extreme will be the End of those who do evil; for that they rejected the Signs of
Allah, and held them up to ridicule.
11. It is Allah Who begins (the process of) creation; then repeats i