31. When Our Messengers came to Abraham with the good news, they said: "We are indeed going to destroy
the people of this township: for truly they are (addicted to) crime." 226
32. He said: "But there is Lut there." They said: "Well do we know who is there : we will certainly save him and
his following,‐ except his wife: she is of those who lag behind!"
33. And when Our Messengers came to Lut, he was grieved on their account, and felt himself powerless (to
protect) them: but they said: "Fear thou not, nor grieve: we are (here) to save thee and thy following, except
thy wife: she is of those who lag behind.
34. "For we are going to bring down on the people of this township a Punishment from heaven, because they
have been wickedly rebellious."
35. And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any people who (care to) understand.
36. To the Madyan (people) (We sent) their brother Shu'aib. Then he said: "O my people! serve Allah, and fear
the Last Day: nor commit evil on the earth, with intent to do mischief."
37. But they rejected him: Then the mighty Blast seized them, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the
38. (Remember also) the 'Ad and the Thamud (people): clearly will appear to you from (the traces) of their
buildings (their fate): the Evil One made their deeds alluring to them, and kept them back from the Path,
though they were gifted with intelligence and skill.
39. (Remember also) Qarun, Pharaoh, and Haman: there came to them Moses with Clear Signs, but they
behaved with insolence on the earth; yet they could not overreach (Us).
40. Each one of them We seized for his crime: of them, against some We sent a violent tornado (with showers
of stones); some were caught by a (mighty) Blast; some We caused the earth to swallow up; and some We
drowned (in the waters): It was not Allah Who injured (or oppressed) them:" They injured (and oppressed)