21. He therefore got away therefrom, looking about, in a state of fear. He prayed "O my Lord! save me from
people given to wrong‐doing."
22. Then, when he turned his face towards (the land of) Madyan, he said: "I do hope that my Lord will show
me the smooth and straight Path."
23. And when he arrived at the watering (place) in Madyan, he found there a group of men watering (their
flocks), and besides them he found two women who were keeping back (their flocks). He said: "What is the
matter with you?" They said: "We cannot water (our flocks) until the shepherds take back (their flocks): And
our father is a very old man."
24. So he watered (their flocks) for them; then he turned back to the shade, and said:"O my Lord! truly am I in
(desperate) need of any good that Thou dost send me!"
25. Afterwards one of the (damsels) came (back) to him, walking bashfully. She said: "My father invites thee
that he may reward thee for having watered (our flocks) for us." So when he came to him and narrated the
story, he said: "Fear thou not: (well) hast thou escaped from unjust people."
26. Said one of the (damsels): "O my (dear) father! engage him on wages: truly the best of men for thee to
employ is the (man) who is strong and trusty"....
27. He said: "I intend to wed one of these my daughters to thee, on condition that thou serve me for eight
years; but if thou complete ten years, it will be (grace) from thee. But I intend not to place thee under a
difficulty: thou wilt find me, indeed, if Allah wills, one of the righteous."
28. He said: "Be that (the agreement) between me and thee: whichever of the two terms I fulfil, let there be
no ill‐will to me. Be Allah a witness to what we say." 220
29. Now when Moses had fulfilled the term, and was travelling with his family, he perceived a fire in the
direction of Mount Tur. He said to his family: "Tarry ye; I perceive a fire; I hope to bring you from there some
information, or a burning firebrand, that ye may warm yourselves."
30. But when he came to the (fire), a voice was heard from the right bank of the valley, from a tree in
hallowed ground: "O Moses! Verily I am Allah, the Lord of the Worlds....