11. And she said to the sister of (Moses), "Follow him" so she (the sister) watched him in the character of a
stranger. And they knew not.
12. And we ordained that he refused suck at first, until (His sister came up and) said: "Shall I point out to you
the people of a house that will nourish and bring him up for you and be sincerely attached to him?"...
13. Thus did We restore him to his mother, that her eye might be comforted, that she might not grieve, and
that she might know that the promise of Allah is true: but most of them do not understand.
14. When he reached full age, and was firmly established (in life), We bestowed on him wisdom and
knowledge: for thus do We reward those who do good.
15. And he entered the city at a time when its people were not watching: and he found there two men
fighting,‐ one of his own religion, and the other, of his foes. Now the man of his own religion appealed to him
against his foe, and Moses struck him with his fist and made an end of him. He said: "This is a work of Evil
(Satan): for he is an enemy that manifestly misleads!" 219
16. He prayed: "O my Lord! I have indeed wronged my soul! Do Thou then forgive me!" So ((Allah)) forgave
him: for He is the Oft‐Forgiving, Most Merciful.
17. He said: "O my Lord! For that Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace on me, never shall I be a help to those who
18. So he saw the morning in the city, looking about, in a state of fear, when behold, the man who had, the
day before, sought his help called aloud for his help (again). Moses said to him: "Thou art truly, it is clear, a
19. Then, when he decided to lay hold of the man who was an enemy to both of them, that man said: "O
Moses! Is it thy intention to slay me as thou slewest a man yesterday? Thy intention is none other than to
become a powerful violent man in the land, and not to be one who sets things right!"
20. And there came a man, running, from the furthest end of the City. He said: "O Moses! the Chiefs are taking
counsel together about thee, to slay thee: so get thee away, for I do give thee sincere advice."