Wigan 2-2 Stoke City: Crouch rescues point for Pulis's side

Posted by hossain.shezu on on Sept. 1, 2012, 11:20 p.m.  

In an outstanding game with two penalties and end-to-end action, the two sides take a point each with Stoke unlucky not to steal all three points after dominating the second-half Stoke twice fought back from a goal down to claim a point against Wigan after a tremendous 2-2 draw at the DW Stadium. Shaun Maloney's penalty gave Wigan an early lead after Robert Huth handballed James McCarthy's goalbound effort inside the first five minutes. Despite dominating the first-half, Stoke were handed a way back into the game after Maynor Figueroa blatantly handled in the area, and Jonathan Walters tucked away the penalty five minutes before half-time. Wigan was back in front just three minutes after the break though, with Franco Di Santo's fine finish capping an excellent move from the Lancashire club. Stoke, however, would not give up and deservedly hit back for a second time through Peter Crouch, who headed home after being set up by Walters. Charlie Adam almost made the headlines after his free-kick was horribly deflected goalbound by Gary Caldwell, but a fine save from Ali-Al Habsi saved a point for The Latics. Wigan was keen to build on its impressive 2-0 victory at St Mary's last weekend, and started brighty as it sought to control possession in the early stages, stroking the ball around the back four. But with their first real attacking move of the game, the deadlock was broken as The Latics edged ahead after just four minutes. Franco Di Santo received the ball on the left and played into the Stoke area to the arriving James McCarthy, who struck a powerful effort which hit the outstretched arm of Robert Huth, and despite Stoke's protest that it was unintentional, referee Martin Atkinson had no choice other than to point to the spot. Shaun Maloney stepped up for the penalty, and coolly slotted it into the bottom right-hand corner, sending Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic the wrong way to give the hosts an early lead at the DW Stadium. Wigan received a slight blow with Beausejour seeing his afternoon cut short after going down on the left and landing awkwardly, with Martinez forced to replace him with David Jones just before the half-hour mark. Stoke did then have the ball in the net a few minutes later but the whistle had already gone, with Jonathan Walters adjudged to have fouled Wigan keeper Ali Al-Habsi as the ball rolled into the net, meeting with a sarcastic cheer from the home fans who were enjoying the afternoon. Just minutes later, Figueroa was again in the limelight for the wrong reasons, and the Honduras international will be disappointed with his part in Stoke's equalizing goal. The ball came to Peter Crouch in the area, and the former Tottenham striker juggled the ball before looping it in the air. Figueroa's feeble attempt to block the pass from Crouch was then to prove costly as it struck his arm, with Atkinson again showing no hesitation pointing straight to the spot. Walters stepped up for the spot-kick, and despite Al-Habsi choosing the right way, the Irish international's penalty was well-struck into the bottom right-hand corner to draw Stoke level.

You are not a follower
 Tags:  No tags added